Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Arkham City Trailer Has Style


As someone who has to watch a lot of trailers, I am so, so bored with the formulaicness of them. Game publishers can drop a bunch of clips from the game's cutscenes into iMovie and overlay an ominous, generic, and wholly forgetable score overtop. Rocksteady and Warner Bros. Interactive's Batman: Arkham City's new gameplay trailer has debuted over at IGN and it's a breath of fresh air. Showing not just pre-rendered cutscene footage, but actual gameplay, the trailer also features the catchy tune This Ain't No Place for a Hero. I can't find who sings the song, but I want their album.

I'm glad to see advertising can still be stylish, not that this game would need it judging by how much people loved the first game. Personally I only thought it was alright. It's certainly the best Batman game and one of the best comic book games period, but I had my issues with it. Mostly the boss battles. The fights I even remember weren't that great and people still bring up bosses that I have to struggle to even remember fighting. Plus that final boss battle, MAN what were they thinking. 
 
Arkham City looks much better, though, and features more of my favorite villains. Two Face and Catwoman are two of my favorite Bat-characters and I can't wait to see how the open world gameplay of Arkham City works.

1 comment: